All the shapes in this bass guitar tutorial are fragments of larger scale patterns.
When you memorise them and then use some simple rhythms and bass techniques you get instant amazing bass lines!
Scroll down for the free PDF.
6 Very Useful Bass Guitar Patterns
The basic idea is to take the shapes above and make music with them. You can play one or combine as many as you like together.
- Pick a shape or shapes
- Choose a very simple groove (a repeating rhythm)
- Bring it to life with great timing and expressive techniques (hammer-ons, slides, ghost notes, etc.)
- Move the red 'R' (the root note) to different parts of the neck - either the same root note or change it to make up chord progressions.
For more on rhythm, articulations (hammer-ons etc.), and patterns:
- The Most Common Rhythms & How To Make Bass Lines With Them (Also How To Play In Time)
- Play Bass With MAGIC & FLAIR!
- My Favourite Ever Bass Patterns [PENTATONICS – RnB, Soul & Motown]