I had been looking for a capable practice bass amp for a while when I learned that Boss were releasing the Katana bass amp.
The guitar version has been popular for a while so I was excited to hear the news.
Imagine my luck when a friend of mine with a Boss contact asked if I wanted to try one. Boss kindly sent me one and I now have a great practice amp that's also fantastic for recording.
My search is over!
In this bass demo, I showcase the amp and excellently intuitive Boss Tone studio software.
That makes it very easy to dial in any tone you can think of.
Here are the tones I recreate:
- Phaser: Anthony Jackson - For The Love Of Money (The O'Jays)
- Delay/Chorus: Stu Hamm - Bass Solo, Live In San Fransisco (Joe Satriani)
- Distortion/Overdrive: Geddy Lee - Tom Sawyer (Rush)
- Envelope Filter: Flea - Sir Psycho Sexy (Red Hot Chili Peppers)
- Octave Pedal: Guy Pratt/Pino Palladino/Tony Levin
- Vintage Amp Tone: James Jamerson
You can really go down the rabbit hole and create any bass tone you can imagine. Equally, the presets get you up and running immediately.
It's a fun amp with a clean tone (probably what we use 90% of the time) that inspires you to pick up your bass and play.
For more bass tone and bass gear videos, check out the links below.